Tuesday, May 13, 2008

REALLY?!?!

SO...tonight DNA and Capt. E and I were hanging out with the regional Trek rep. Now, this is unassailabley cool for a bike nerd like me, and regardless of the fact that I am smart enough to be aware that this guy isn't exactly telling the guys at Waterloo what to do, I still find a certain mystique in hanging with a rep. But, I have to say that something that came up during the conversation gave me pause. Whilst discussing Schwalbe Tires, which you should be familiar with if you've ridden a bike for more than ten minutes, the topic of winter bicycle commuting came up. Now, I can't remember which of us mentioned 20 below rides to work, but the Trek Rep's reply was "you guys only do that to say that you did"...

Wow! If the $#%&ing Trek Rep doesn't get that commuting by bicycle in 20 below weather is actually more pleasant that commuting by bike in 90 degree weather, then I've been wasting my time, because even the choir doesn't get it.

SIGH

In the interest of full disclosure, the guy seemed super cool and did buy us a few drinks, I'm just disillusioned that even a 'bike guy' with a dream 'bike job' doesn't seem to get it. Really?? The guy that works for Trek doesn't get it? We either have a long way to go (best case scenario) or, I'm wasting my time...hmm...

2 comments:

Capt. E said...

Yeah, he didn't get it. But, in my experience, its not that uncommon for an industry rep to "not get their industry". I have met more than a few who were not that connected with the industry in which they work. It is safe to say it was a means to an end more than a real connection to their industry.

SingletrackM1nd said...

I spose, as I implied a bit, that I romanticized the position of 'rep' a bit too much. What crossed my mind later is that there are still companies like Surly that were into commuting by bike before the market research said it was a good idea. I mean, we are talking about Trek here.